At Tanla, sustainability is in the DNA of everything we do. We believe in a future where technology can be a powerful driver for positive changes. In 2022, we implemented several company-wide ESG initiatives.
We started with a three-step materiality analysis to identify and focus on the most pressing ESG issues for our internal and external shareholders.
- Reducing carbon footprints: A Carbon Footprint study of Tanla offices was conducted by CII for FY20 and FY21 to ensure that total CO2 emissions were at par with environmental standards.
- GHG Emission targets: A custom-made GHG inventorisation tool has been created in accordance with GHG standard protocol. From FY22, Tanla is conducting this study internally based on GHG emission targets explained by CII. Going forward, the aim is to reduce emissions year-on-year, eventually achieving total carbon neutrality.
- Ban on single-use plastic: We implemented and have upheld the ban on single-use plastic in all Tanla offices from September 2021.
- LEED certification: We are continuing to work towards LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for the Innovation & Experience center in Hyderabad.
- Tree plantation: We signed an MoU with the Government Medical College of Mahbubnagar for the plantation of 25,000 trees in a 25-acre area of the medical and nursing college grounds.
- We thoroughly reviewed our consumption patterns and continue forging ahead to the transition to renewable energy.
We are very passionate about building a fair and equitable workplace for our employees and giving back to the community. In FY22, we made several notable strides on these fronts.
For our employees
- We implemented “Speak Up” – an employee redressal mechanism for ethical and professional conduct in the workplace
- We have instituted mandatory ESG Walks with senior employees to ensure we are adhering to Employee Health & Safety (EHS) initiatives
- We have integrated diversity and inclusion guidelines into our hiring policy
- We educated our employees on and implemented waste segregation at source in all Tanla offices
For the community
- We launched the PILLARS initiative for digital learning in government high schools in rural areas. As part of this initiative, we have provided digital learning courses, implemented academic support and special classes, conducted art and sports camps, and provided tabs to gifted students.
- We collaborated with LabourNet via an NGO called Sambhav for skilling and placement programs. Through this program, we were able to skill-train 108 young people and successfully placed 83 into entry-level jobs.
- We conducted an art camp, cultural event, and sports day to facilitate the all-round development of students
- We implemented after-school tuition classes for students from classes VI-IX who required additional academic support.
- We conducted five months of special classes for 100 Class X students, tutoring them in Maths, Science, and English to help them perform well in the state board exams.
2022 was the year when we redoubled our commitment to ESG and conducted various awareness sessions for the formulation and implementation of several important policies.
- Diversity and Inclusion policy: We made D&I a major focus of our workplace and implemented guidelines in the form of the STEPIn Charter.
- We implemented a Supplier Code of Conduct for responsible sourcing and conducted sessions to sensitize suppliers about the importance of a SCoC.
- We published a Human Rights statement reflecting our commitment to becoming more responsible corporate citizens
- We implemented e-waste and general waste management policies.
- We conducted a meeting with stakeholders in the community such as school staff, parents, Sarpanch, etc. on the community initiatives we have undertaken and their impact.
- As part of Project Green Baton – our environmental advocacy initiative, our employees visited local schools and conducted awareness sessions to educate high school students about important issues such as global warming and climate change.
S&P Global ESG score
All our efforts in ESG have resulted in our first win:
We scored 32/100 on the prestigious S&P Global ESG Score. To put this score into context, the industry average is 17 points. We were the top scorer from the Indian category and on a global SOF list, we were 35th out of 384 entrants.
Keeping ESG at the center of our strategy has been a fundamental driver for our continuous growth bringing us a step close to our mission to create the most Preferred, Innovative, Resilient, Secured, and Well-Governed platforms and solutions on Earth - where Brands/Enterprises can communicate with Customers.